QR Code Sign In
The Covid-19 pandemic has necessitated the need for drastic measures to checkmate the spread of the virus. One such measure was the introduction of QR codes for check-ins.
Recently, the Victorian government announced an on-the-spot fine for businesses that fail to maintain an electronic record for all visitors. Erring companies or facilities would have to pay a fine of $1652 for defying the government's directive.
Why Use Electronic Method For Check-ins
Electronic check-ins provide fast access to detailed electronic records of visitors to a business facility. Such records would help NSW health to quickly alert individuals who may have had contact with a person with Covid -19 while visiting your business or facility.
Similarly, electronic check-in is an effective means of carrying out contact tracing, which is vital in stopping or slowing down the spread of Covid-19 in the community.
Businesses and Events That Require Mandatory Check-ins
The following businesses and events are mandated by law to have an electronic checking system in New South Wales.
Organisations and businesses
- Amusement centers
- Business premises used for auction houses, other than clearing houses
- Business premises that used for nail salons, beauty salons, hairdressing salons, waxing salons, tanning salons, spas, tattoo parlors, and massage parlors
- Drive-in cinemas
- Entertainment facilities
- Hospitality venues
- Food and drink premises, other than food courts – only for a person entering the premises to consume food or drink on the premises and persons who are staff and contractors
- (c) Micro-breweries, small distilleries holding a drink on-premises authorization under the Liquor Act 2007 and cellar door premises – only for a person entering the premises to consume food or drink on the premises and persons who are staff and contractors
- Pubs, small bars, and registered clubs – for persons entering the premises, but not if the person is entering the premises solely to collect food or drink to consume off the premises
- Function centers
- Funeral homes
- Information and education facilities (other than libraries)
- Party buses
- Properties operated by the National Trust or the Historic Houses Trust.
- Public swimming pools
- Recreation facilities (indoor)
- Recreation facilities (major)
- Sex on premises venues, being restricted premises where sex between patrons is permitted on the premises.
- Sex services premises
- Strip clubs
- Vessels used for hosting functions or for commercial tours
- Zoological parks and reptile parks
- COVID-19 safe outdoor public gathering
- Controlled outdoor public gatherings
- Corporate events
- Funerals and memorial services and gathering after funerals and memorial services
- Wedding services and gatherings after wedding services
Electronic recording of entry is not mandatory for persons entering premises to attend an event such as a wedding or funeral. Similarly, it is also not compulsory for individuals entering public worship or entering premises for a religious service.
QR stands for Quick Response. They are one of the common types of electronic check-in systems. While they may look simple, QR codes contain an enormous amount of data that still allows users to access information quickly.
QR codes are pretty similar to barcodes as it's information is easily read by a smartphone camera. Depending on your phone, you may have to download a free QR code reader app available on Android Play and iPhone app stores.
The Use of QR Codes In The Fight Against Covid
QR codes have been an age long invention. However, the Covid-19 pandemic has opened new and broader ways of using it. Covid-19 pandemic has forced several governments worldwide to implement QR codes to track the health status of citizens and their movements.
The Victorian government has also joined some authorities worldwide in using this innovation to curb the spread of the virus. Some businesses in New South Wales, Australia, have started using QR codes to gather customer details. QR codes are convenient for use and provide a hygienic and contactless way of signing into premises or events.
How To Get The NSW QR Code
You would have to register your business as Covid safe to access the NSW government QR code. Once you have registered as Covid-19 safe, you would get an email carrying the unique QR code.
How To Use A QR Code System For Check-ins In NSW
With a phone camera, you could read a QR code which will automatically activate a check-in form. Ensure your mobile device is compatible to access a QR code. Covid safe businesses in NSW display QR code posters at the entry of their premises or close to the counter. Point your phone camera to the QR code and tap on the QR code or notification.
Once the check-in form is activated, you would have to enter your details correctly. Ensure you submit the correct information about yourself as it would help contact tracers to get in touch with you if a suspected or confirmed case of Covid-19 is identified. A confirmation message would appear once you have completed the form.
Going contactless for Covid-19 Safety
Research has shown that the coronavirus spreads quickly via touching infected objects. It is believed that the virus can remain active for up to 24 hours.
To curb the spread of Covid, QR codes are offering a unique and efficient means of encouraging zero contact with surfaces. Long check-ins in lobbies and supermarkets may cause the spread of the virus due to body contacts due to high rate of body contacts.
QR codes hand sanitisers are perfect for touchless check-ins via the use of a smartphone device. Similarly, they help eliminate long lines at check-ins and help protect customers from staying near one another.
Many hospitals are also taking the lead by introducing innovative QR code hand sanitizers to curb the spread of the virus. These QR code hand sanitiser stations are not only innovative but are helping to limit the touching of surfaces.
Several businesses where hand hygiene is fundamental have remained at a fix on looking for ways to reduce contact with surfaces during and after washing. With QR codes hand sanitizer devices, you are guaranteed a practical device. They are perfect for high-traffic areas and drastically reduce the risks associated with cross-contamination.